Arraglen / Airghleann Cross Inscribed Ogham Stone A pilgrimmage route known as Cosán na Naomh or The Saint's Road runs north from Ventry Strand on the Dingle peninsula to Ballybrack. This trail passes by some of the counties amazing Early Christian sites, beginning with Maumanorig, where there is a stone with an ogham inscription that reads 'Name of Colman the Pilgrim', the early ecclesiastical site at Lateevemore, a medieval boat-shaped oratory at Gallarus, the multi-period site at Kilmalkedar, which features a holed ogham stone, and finally Currauly. At the present time the pilgrimmage route stops at Ballybrack, but the more adventurous route continues east from Ballybrack, up a mountain track to the summit of Mount Brandon. The mountain track is marked with tall wooden crosses placed into stone cairns.
Unfortunately the ogham stone at Arraglen is situated on the steep northern slopes of the mountain, about 400 metres north from the summit. The views from here are spectacular. In the image above you can see Brandon Bay, with Tralee Bay in the background on the east side of the Magharee Peninsula, a bit of the Magharee Islands can be seen extreme left. The ogham stone has been moved several metres from its original position for protection. It had previously fallen in 1937 and again in 1992. The west face bears a Maltese cross within a circle and the east face also bears a Maltese cross, but no circle. Attached to the right side of the upper arm of the east cross is a Chi-Rho symbol, similar to the one at Kilshannig. The ogham inscription reads: QRIMITIR RON(AN)N MA(Q) COMOGANN which can be translated as Ronán the priest son of Comgán. |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Situated: In Arraglen townland on the northern slopes of Mount Brandon. Discovery Map 70: Q 4651 1415. Last visit June 2021. Longitude: 10° 14' 55.9" W Latitude: 52° 15' 28.9" N Photos: José Gutiérrez. |
![]() |
Ref and websites: Ogham in 3D A project to digitise and record the surviving Ogham stones in 3D, and Archaeology.ie |
|