Irish High Crosses

Graiguenamanagh High Crosses

Graiguenamanagh

Situated on the river Barrow, Graiguenamanagh is home to one of the best preserved Cistercian abbeys in Ireland, Duiske Abbey. Although the abbey was founded in 1207, there are two granite high crosses in the graveyard to the south of the church dating to the 8th century, both of these crosses were brought here from elsewhere. The North Cross, East face pictured right, came from Ballyogan, the iconography and design of this particular cross are clearly similar to the other crosses of the Barrow valley although slightly more primative, was this cross a fore runner to the crosses at Castledermot ? The South Cross, pictured below left, came from Aghakiltawn. Both crosses have a crucifixion scene on the west face. The North cross bears figure sculpture on the shaft, below the crucifixion is Adam and Eve below that is the sacrifice of Isaac and at the bottom of the shaft David with a harp. Geometric designs are featured on the north and south sides. Built into the wall of the Abbey is a Cross Slab, also in the abbey grounds is the base of a third cross.

 

Ballyogan Cross East Face

Situated: Very easy. Located in the small graveyard at Duiske Abbey in the centre of Graiguenamanagh.

Group: Barrow Valley.

Google Map.

Discovery Map: 68. S 7087 4380. Last Visit: April 2005.

Longitude: 6° 57' 19" W

Latitude: 52° 32' 28" N

Nearest High Crosses featured on this website

Ullard: 5 Kilometres NNE.

Kilree: 22 Kilometres W.

Ahenny: 33 Kilometres WSW.

Kilkieran: 33 Kilometres WSW.

 

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous---Crosses Home---Next