Mayglass

Romanesque Church

The Parish Church of Mayglass (Mágh Glas-Green Plain) was dedicated to St Fintan of Clonenagh, County Laois. It is situated in Glebe townland, in the Barony of Forth. The earliest references to this nave and chancel church date from the early 14th century, when Mayglass was attached to the deanery of Ferns. The Hiberno-romanesque mouldings of the south doorway suggest it may have been built in the late 12th or early 13th century. The doorway, pictured left, was restored in 1914.

Apart from the romanesque doorway very little remains of the north and south walls. The west gable, with it's double bellcote was partly rebuilt at some stage, but now lies in a dangerous state of repair. The chancel is thought to be 15th century but sadly little remains of it, apart from the west gable. The large window in the gable was composed of Dundry stone, but unfortunately the elaborate tracery has been removed. The headless body of Bagnel Harvey, who was executed on Wexford Bridge during the 1798 rebellion, is interred in the graveyard.

Situated: From Wexford Town head south on the R730, it changes to the N25. After approx 7.5K turn right onto the R739 for Kilmore Quay. About 3k turn right for Mayglass. The graveyard is 2.5k down here on your right.

Discovery Map 69. T 1049 1171. Last visit April 2016.

Longitude: 6° 30' 50" W

Latitude: 52° 14' 52" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page