Bartizan on the NE angle.

Tinnahinch Castle

17th Century Tower House

The three storey tower house at at Tinnahinch was probably built by James Butler in c.1630. James was a son of Edmund Butler, 2nd Viscount of Mountgarret. His grandfather was Richard Butler, the 1st Viscount. The tower is a rectangular structure with a stair tower at the southwest angle. A machicolation between the angles of the house and the stair tower, see image below, protected the doorway. Not mainly features remain, all the window opes have been robbed out in the north wall, pictured above. There is a nice corner bartizan on the north east angle. Theobald Butler, a brother of James, may have occupied the castle before it was burned out in c.1700.

Situated: From Graiguenamanagh cross over the bridge to Tinnahinch and walk south along the river bank. Take time you enjoy the Bird Fauna along the river. See below.

Discovery Map 68: S 7074 4341. Last visit Jan 2019.

Longitude: 6° 57' 26" W

Latitude: 52° 32' 15" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous----Home-----Next Page